Friday, May 20, 2011

Encinitas Sprint!

Oh how I love this race! So many reason why... Small hometown feel, great expo and PB&J at the finish line.





I have a confession to make... I really have trouble pushing myself in training like I can in a race. So when I realized this race would fit in perfect with my training for Kansas 70.3, I was in!



This year I was determined to have a good swim start. Last year I got flipped head-over-heels while trying to get out and the year before I fell flat on my face two times. But this year was going to be different... and it was! Ran out hard, no falling, and dolphin dove like a pro.




The swim was HARD though. As luck would have it, my AG wave went off right when a set of waves was coming in. Every time I looked up to sight, another wave was coming at me. I swear I had to dive under ten of them! Once out past the break I found a pair of feet to jump on, and we slowly made it to the turn around buoy. There were a ton of people out at the buoy taking a "break" from the extra choppy swim.


Once I rounded the buoy I looked for my friend who had pulled me out and she was no where to be found. I was on my own to make it back to the shore. Thank goodness someone planted a huge Palm tree, as it was my beacon to the swim exit. I just focused on making my way to the palm tree with strong, steady strokes.


As soon as I got out of the water I did a quick scan for other pink caps. None in sight, and I knew I was first out of the water in my AG. This has never happened before, so I was stoked! Now just to hold them all off.


Speedracer was ready to go when I got to transition, and we hit the bike course hard. My goal for the race was to collect some numbers, but as soon as I left transition and got rolling I looked down to see my power and cadence were not working. Crap! My Garmin gets confused when it is around a bunch of other bikes transmitting data. A little bit of messing with it and I was back in the game.






The 2XU Kit just makes me look fast!

I rode the course hard. Just kept telling myself to ride like there was not a run afterwards. Somehow I got a Lady Gaga song stuck in my head, which was annoying and entertaining all at the same time.


The bike was over in the blink of an eye and I was onto the run. Hit it hard and tried not to let up. It was really inspiring to see a ton of CAF athletes out on the course. Great cheering crowds as well.... Thanks!




When all was said and done, it was a great race and a great day seeing friends old and new. I'll be back next year for sure!

No comments: