Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The One and Only...Wildflower!

I was SO excited for Wildflower this year...and it did not disappoint! Been working my butt off in training this winter, all with this race in my mind.

The morning started off great, with beautiful skies and not too cold temps. Despite not sleeping too well and a nagging calf injury, I was feeling rested and ready to rock.

Positioned myself front and center for the swim start. This new for me. Before I had always hung back a bit, thinking I did not want to get trampled at the start, and I was not "good enough" to line up at the front. This year I've decided that no matter where I am, there is always some elbowing, kicking and other mayhem that will occur, so I might as well be up front and trying to hang on to the fast girls.

Took it out hard to the first buoy, and managed to not get trampled too much. Once we cleared the first turn it was time to look for some feet to jump on. Unfortunately I had let the lead pack get away and I seemed to be leading the second pack. Onward I went.

Soon I began to catch the wave in front of me. First I was passing green caps, then yellow and then the lake became a rainbow of caps. All of a sudden what looked like such a big lake, felt so small; I had no where to go but over and around people.

T1 was somewhat of a disaster. Still having trouble getting the wetsuit off! Suggestions?

Before I knew it, I was on the bike. Kept it mellow in preparation for the nasty hill at mile 2. It was painful... enough said! Rolled out of the campground feeling great and ready to have some fun on the bike.

The ride was uneventful but fantastic and beautiful. I was in a great mindset and having so much fun. I sang to myself as I dropped boys left and right. Just focused on keeping my heart rate where I wanted and keeping it strong and steady. The headwind was pretty strong this year as compared to last, but it didn't bother me too much.

T2 was much better than T1. Was able to nail the flying dismount and get out in no time.

Legs felt good going into the run. I had kept it conservative on the bike, so my quads were not as thrashed as usual. Was yelling at all the "walkers" going up the stairs to move over. I was a girl on a mission!

I was really enjoying the first two miles of the run. Roller hills, but nothing too bad. Came up to a sharp left turn and BAM! The next thing I knew I was sprawled out on the asphalt! Seems the guy in front of me tried to cut the corner short as I was passing him, and I clipped the back of his shoe. The worst part was it was in front of about 20 people... Huge abrasions on my hand and elbow, but nothing that would prevent me from continuing.

Hit the trails and the big uphills. Unfortunately I began cramping... again! I was really diligent in my nutrition/salt, so I have no idea what is going on, but I'm really over the cramping thing. Luckily it did not keep me from running, but not as fast as I know I can.

The run seemed a ton shorter than last year. I think having done the course before helped. It was not too long before I was heading down Lynch Hill. Used my new "Flying Scotsman" technique to really fly down the hill and into the chute.

Overall it was a great race! I was heard saying that I wish they ran it twice in the year... and I meant it!
I usually don't do this, but I owe HUGE thanks to a ton of people. First and foremost to my family for putting up with and feeding me during my huge training blocks. Second to my coach, Lesley Paterson, who continues to push me and inspire me in so many ways. To Jane of Biolaser Therapy for getting my calf back into shape for the race. To the people at Compex for letting me pretty much steal one for their machines for the weekend. To Jes Motyl for being an awesome travel partner and keeping my mind off of my nerves. And to Moment Cycle Sport and especially Dave for making sure Speed Racer was in top shape.


Marit C-L said...

Great job Stacey!!!! YEA - sounds like an awesome day, minus the tripping incident. Ugh - but you still got back up and kept charging forward - atta girl!! :) Okay - NICE lining up in the front on the swim - you deserve to be there! GOOD foryou! As for the wetsuit thing...mmmmm - I have the same problem. I usually just do a mad dance to hop and get it off my ankles. I usually try to unzip myself and run out of the water while pulling my arms off - then I'll take off the cap and goggles and stuff it down my top and focus on the rest of the trunk. By the time I get to T1, its just the hopping thingy with the feet. Maybe a little bit of body glide on the ankles? That might help...

Great job out there!!!! Recover well and on to the next race - yea!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

You certainly are tough. Way to demoralize the boys even more. Dropping them with blood dripping off your hands. Let me know about the wetsuit. The more I try to pull mine off....the more it stretches and clings to me. Ugg. Nice dismount:)

Dave699 said...

You're very welcome, Stacy! Always a pleasure.